Posted on Nov 05, 2014
As part of the Walton-on-Thames Food Festival on Saturday 31 May, The Heart Shopping Centre hosted Walton’s first Cake-Off Contest. Budding bakers had the opportunity to go head to head and present their best-baked cake to series 3 Great British Bake-off contestant Cathryn Dresser, and Mark Lloyd previously appearing as head chef on River Cottage.
There was a very positive response from local bakers with almost 50 entries, into one of the three age categories: 4-11 year olds, 12-18 year olds and over 18’s. To enter all contestants had to bake their very best cake, of any kind, and originality was encouraged! The cakes where then judged on four categories; presentation, skill, creativity, taste.
The decision was tough with so many amazing entries, however the following winners were chosen, and first, second, and third place was awarded by age category.
- 1st Place: Eve Perry from Heathside School with her ‘’Tower of Chocolate Cake’’
- 2nd Place: Sophia Lulham from Cranmere School with her ‘’Sophia Rainbow Surprise Cake’’
- 3rd Place: Lily Burke from Cleves School with her ‘’Olaf Cake’’
- 1st Place: Victoria Lovekin from Heathside School with her ‘’Red Velvet Cake’’
- 2nd Place: Zack Capozzi from Fisher High with his ‘’Banana & Chocolate Cake’’
- 3rd Place: Lucy Edwards from Heathside School with her ‘’Chocolate Orange Marble Cake’’
- 1st Place: Naomi Burroughes with her ‘’Where is Elma? Cake’’
- 2nd Place: Beth Cappozzi with her ‘’Triple Chocolate Cake’’
- 3rd Place (tie): Janine Larter with her ‘’Serendipity Cake’’
- 3rd Place (tie): Nicola Tickner with her ‘’I do like to be beside the Seaside Cake’’
The Walton-On-Thames Food Festival also included cooking demonstrations, masterclasses, a kids club workshop, and mamy unique food stalls throughout the The Heart and onto the High Street.
The Walton-On-Thames Food Festival is supported by the Walton Business Group.